Monday, April 09, 2012

A trip down memory lane

I had an email this week asking me about a tutorial I had written about making extra patterns with patterned paper. Well it rang a vague bell so I went back through my blog to the time I was doing that kind of thing and lost a happy hour trawling back through events, photos and crafty bits that I had forgotten. Its clear that I have got a crafting style but I'm not sure I can describe it - perhaps - "fairly clean but with a lot of patterned papers" will have to do.
I didn't find the tutorial though...
well not until I had an idea it might be on the Daring Cardmakers blog and googled it, finding that I wrote it almost exactly 4 years ago. If you are curious, it's here

After a marathon week I have finally managed to finish my Daring card for this week. The colour theme is sorbet colours
which my card is - but maybe I should have photographed it on a lighter background!
this card went through several versions and finally has a doily sticking out over the edge. I love the colour of the doily which I created by using a glimmer mist. I also sprayed some cardstock with it to make the sponge part of the cupcake. The papers are all MME; Dies: Sizzix and Nestablilities; PTI stamp; doily from shop up t'road (High House which sells ribbons and wedding bits and artificial flowers). Here is a close up of the hand created cupcake (as if you couldn't tell, LOL!) which has Rock Candy sparkles and Glossy Accents

At Card Club on Saturday - a real balm for the soul on the lovely pause that is Easter Saturday - I made a card for the CASE study challenge blog. I love the style of the designers and wanted to see if I could be clean and simple too. I used the same shape and similar colour scheme to the original card
The papers are Papermania; ribbon is Anitas; also used white enamel accents; Banana Frog and Imagine That stamps and gems from Imagine That. I obviously have a thing for yellow accents at the moment!

I was kind of dreading today as I had dubbed it "operation Carys' room". Well that was a trip down memory lane in itself as we rediscovered the floor and said goodbye to many cuddly toys. Even Mickey Mouse - who Hywel used to babble away to at six weeks old - he didn't do that to us or any other toys. Even Cake the orangutan and many others that I can name and tell you where they came from. It is time to put away childish things. Or, if you are moving to a house with no storage space, time to donate them to charity for others to enjoy.  We filled 3 rubbish sacks and 4 for charity. I even found her MP4 player down the radiator (amongst other things I will not mention for fear of upsetting the squeamish!).

I allowed her to sleep in and while I waited, made a layout with some fab new MME papers with a little bit of Cosmo Cricket thrown in (as a yellow accent....)
You may now be singing Van Halen in your head, sorry! There is a little October Afternoon as well. I used some mists and a hexagon mask, plus my hexagon template and a sizzux scroll die. I finished off by blobbing some Stickles of various kinds and colours around the place. Here are the words...
Well the bedroom is done and it has stopped raining so I suppose I better go out for a run as I won't be able to over the next few days as I will spend a lot of time on the train or having fun with my parents (its a flying solo visit). As I have just reached 4 miles I don't want to lose momentum. Tempting though!

4 comments:

Mynnette said...

Fabulous projects! LOVE the CASE Study one--those blooms are amazing!!! :)

Maureen said...

Love the colours you chose to work with and yes, clean and simple does work!! Fabulous! That's what I love about this challenge! It all works :) Thanks for playing with us over on CASE Study this week :)

Sabrina said...

Your CASE Study card is fantastic with nearly a monochromatic with the black and just a touch of the yellow.

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

I love your bright & cheerful cards, but the layout is what really captured my heart! Go, wallaby! =)
Thank you for playing with us at CASE Study this week :)