Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Some musical interludes

Once more I have been dismally failing to keep my blog up to speed.
That is due to either being very busy, health issues or having fun!

Health - between having another mole removed; blood tests to check if my thyroid medication is the right strength and issues with my teeth - I'm fine!

Work - just always busy in different ways

Having fun - much nicer to talk about.
A week last Saturday I went to two concerts! one was in my church in aid of Save the Children and there was a good mix of different instruments and styles. It was also the day of the first (and maybe last?) Yellowfest music festival held at Torquay United football ground - which is 10 minutes walk from my house. The main acts were Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford from Squeeze and 10CC. Squeeze were a favourite when I was young and 10CC when I was even younger so a group of us went along. We bumped into a bunch of old guys on our way in - they were going one way and we were going another and did the sidestep dance. Turns out that was 10CC (v. embarrassing). Squeeze were good - although it was just the two of them on guitars, and they played some newer solo stuff too. 10CC were just awesome. In both cases they were all well into their late 50's and 60's and it was inspiring to see the love of making music hasn't left them.

This Saturday was Phil's birthday - we arranged to go out for lunch as there was another concert booked at church for the evening and I was doing the raffle (a first for me!). We walked down to the Cary Arms, a local pub/hotel right by the sea.
Birthday boy enjoying his birthday pint :)
A bit more of the view from the terrace. We live a street back from the white houses to the left of the rock fall.
After a delicious meal we walked along to the other cove (the one you can see in the picture) That is Oddicombe beach and so where we live should be called Oddicombe. Obviously people  preferred Babbacombe for some reason. It was quite warm anyway but Oddicombe is sheltered so we sat and had an icecream. I had just bought a new £7 sunhat to go with my £4 sunglasses...
We then had the extra treat of the Cliff Railway back to the top. It is a very steep walk otherwise (and we were full of food)
The evening concert had been cancelled so we biked over to Dartmouth for the music festival, to listen to a group called Wildwood Kin. Who are very good. (I say "biked over" so casually. It was sensible to go on the motorbike but I absolutely hate it. I was screaming "nooooooo" in my head most of the way there....)

Enough of your wittering, show us the cards I hear you say.
Or not.
Two weeks ago the theme for Daring Cardmakers was Doors, with the idea of having an opening door on our cards.
I made a card for a family who will be moving away to an exciting new adventure quite soon
On the front I used some Cricut gold self adhesive glitter card with a Paper Smooches die and an alphabet die. The middle of one of the "o"s became the door knob. I also stamped the rest of the sentiment using the Milo alphabet and white embossing powder. The papers are very old My Minds Eye
Here is the inside of the door. This sentiment was stamped with Delicta gold ink and clear embossing powder. The Christian fish symbol started life as a breast cancer hope one but they are very similar!
Then on the inside of the card
I wrote this with an embossing pen and added tinsel gold embossing powder but that didn't work too well so I went over the outline with gold krylon as well.

This week we made monochromatic cards based on the colours of the rainbow. I have to say that the blog looks so pretty :)

I bought some new shaker dies from Clearly Besotted and made this cheerful card for my lovely husband
Although I made a bit of a dogs dinner of it all...
I pulled out lots of different yellow papers and also inked up the white card in yellow distress inks.
What I should have done is die cut the "star" bit out of a large piece of paper. Instead I cut it from a smaller one and used another star die cut around it (from Spellbinders), using the larger star to cut acetate from as well. All of that was straightforward, it was the fiddly little bits of foam tape that was difficult. I thought I had just about got it all around, but then I filled the star with big beads and also some micro beads. Which all fell out again. You can just about see some of them left here
(right on the very edges of the star) but every time I moved it more came out. Ah well - I share my mistakes so you don't have to do them :)

No comments: