Friday, February 26, 2010

Something Wicked this way comes

Yuppers, tonight is the night we go and almost virtuously see Wicked. Almost, because I won't be there to sing at the choir practice with the wedding couple. Ah well. And it has been a long week back at work. Lots of reports and meetings and things - not so much of finding ways to share God's love with people. Maybe, just maybe, what I am doing is enabling others to though!

I also had "fun" at the GCSE options evening last night. Its the third time I have done it and each has been completely different. How many choices and what they are is different too.
example: all three will do three sciences at GSCE
H: did triple science in the lesson time allocated to double science - it didn't count as a option
E: triple science counted as one option out of three
C: triple science takes up two options out of three

Carys wondered what to do for her third option. She really wants to do drama but needed a fall back. She considered full RE (a half GSCE is copulsory. I wonder what a half is - a GC or CE or GCSE?) but that is a "twilight" course. No, not about vampires but after school. Surprisingly she didn't want extra school. She considered History until we heard the syllabus - Russia - 1919-present (rise and fall of communism and WW2); Vietnam and as light relief Britain during the depression 1929-1950. So fall back is Music instead. I am pleased that each of my kids has chosen a creative option at this stage - Graphics, Art, Drama. Makes life much more fun! (although the drama teacher would like me to point out there is a lot of written work too)

This Sunday we are focusing on it being Fairtrade Fortnight and as part of it we are doing a Big Swap. During the service we will be making little tags for fairtrade teabags. I'm still unsure as to how to attach the tags - would staples be OK? If you swap something you normally have for a fairtrade item you can download some wonderful tunes from Cadbury (famous for their music I know) You may have seen the ad featuring Paul Nut (as Radcliffe and Marconi call him). I just love the Big Ghana band versions of top tunes. Best one One Day Like This - Elbow although Unbelievable (one of my most fave songs ever) is pretty fine too. Find out more about the Big Swap here. I think it fits well with Lent themes of reflection and self discipline and taking things on for God as well as giving up what is not right or helpful. I've not found sweets too much of a strain so far but I have a few long car journeys to go which are usually my downfall.

OK and now for something completely different - my Daring card this week. Our challenge segues on from last week - then it was winter, now we are thinking warmer for Daring Cardmakers
Here comes the sun!

Lets see some cards full of reds and oranges and yellows - or with lots of circles on them - or rays - anything that says sunshine to you!
My card is aka spot the new stuff
Oh Lythan have you got some new round the corner Martha Stewart punches? Why yes I have
And is that the new Garden Variety by Cosmo Cricket? You betcha!
Also featured... Crafts U LOve kraft card base; blue ricrac from stash; Christina Cole epoxy sticker; Imagine That stamp (its the big one saying Celebrate your day) and some rather ham fisted Liquid Pearls in Opal

Here are two more cards I did recently for the a card a day challenge which I will never be able to do- but its fun to drop in when I can!

Making Memories; October Afternoon; Papermania and American Crafts papers; QK die and Imagine That stamp

BG Lemonade papers; Nestie dies and Fiskars punch; Tesco felt flowers and Prima pearls

Whatever you do tonight - be good!

5 comments:

SueH said...

I’m totally confused by all the school stuff Lythan; things have changed so much since I was there a long lonnnnngggggggg time ago! That said, I agree it’s important to have something creative to help break up the day.

Loving the cards as always. Beautiful, Sunny and Bright!
And I knew it wouldn’t be long before you succumbed to the MS punch

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabby funky bright cards Lythan. :) Enjoy Wicked tonight.

Vanessa.

Lynda said...

Stunningly beautiful cards as always Lythan - and such lovely bright colours and gorgeous textures. All that school stuff is very complicated - so glad I don't have to choose so good luck with picking the right one!!!!

Love Lynda xxx

Enfys said...

Not even going down the school road Lythan, just grateful that that is all behind us.....
I really love your DCM card this week, it jumped right out at me.
big hugs
En xx

Tammy said...

Gorgeous cards! Love your new MS punch!! So fun!
Hugs, Tammy