Friday, September 24, 2010

Counting down to goodbye

Hywel goes off this Sunday.
I am hugely excited for him. I LOVED being a Student - school was pants compared to that. It was so fantastic to have some freedom - to make decisions and mistakes - and to learn, both inside and outside lectures. It will be brilliant I am sure. And I think my pangs are more about the next stage of his - and my life - than of missing him. Which I will, but it is more like a first day of school feeling I think. We have just made sure that we all have MSN accounts so that I can nag him about washing himself and his clothes we can have web cam access to each other.
The only thing left for me to worry about is that his bank stuff still hasn't arrived. This is partly due to him only being 18 at the very end of August so he couldn't have the bits before (bless) and that we had misread the amount needed to activate the account. Apparently all is in the post but we just have one day left for it to arrive in a hassle free way. He has money in another account so won't starve or anything
Big sigh.

Onto other things. It is Harvest at one of my churches this weekend and the set reading is about the Rich Man and Lazarus - the rather gory tale of how you need to make what you do for others in this life count as there are no second chances afterwards. Although I struggle with the some of that theologically I do think that we need to take the underlying message very seriously. We mostly have gifts that we give to the local Women's Aid - so it is packets and tins not marrows and apples. It makes for a slightly less beautiful presentation but we know that everything is needed and used.

And now for some crafting...
I'll start up to date and then play catch up.
This week on Daring Cardmakers the theme is Oops I forgot - as Keryn was a little tardy in letting us know the challenge and wanted to say sorry. Great idea I think!
These Fancy Pants papers were still on my desk after creating a layout (see below). I cut the letters with Sizzix Playground dies and the label is Nestability 4. Papermania brads and flowers; Sarahs cards bling; EK Success punch; Sharpie pen

Then I had a few moments to catch up with last weeks dare - Come Fly with Me
Can you tell that I don't tidy up straight away? These are Basic grey papers that were still out after a layout as well. Intentionally as I have a lot of chipboard pieces to use on cards, but still. Very simple - Nestie layered circle; Papermania stamp; ribbon from A Trip Down Memory Lane; Fiskars Punch; a few gems.

And going back even later in terms of catch up - last week's Salt was missed due to ill health. I must confess that I didn't really use the verse to look forward as I was supposed to - rather I looked back in order to look forward.
Spot the Fancy Pants papers! I printed Tanis' hearts and verse out on them and added them to the layout. I went for orange and pink, inspired by my lovely dress. There are also Bella Blvd papers. The Paperartsy stamps say "I'm no saint". I was about 3 1/2 here. This was my cutest stage in life I think! (I certainly can't get away with that hemline now) Be prepared for more nostalgia photos soon...

3 comments:

Jo said...

I hope Hywel's departure goes well - I am sure he will have the time of his life - hope you don't worry too much!

Gorgeous cards for the dares and a fab layout too!

jo x

MagsB said...

I hope your lad settles in well at uni! MSN is a real blessing!

Lovely cards and layouts!

luv, Mags x

Lynda said...

You see I knew this week's Dare card would be fabulous! Just like last weeks!!! The papers you have used are beautiful and I wouldn't have noticed they were leftovers from the layout if you hadn't told us.

All the best to Hywel too.

Love Lynda xxx