Friday, February 08, 2013

Slightly Squishy

is probably a good description of me at the moment.
All the good work I have done over the past few years in terms of keeping fit has sadly become undone since we moved and in some of my trousers I feel like I am like a little sausage ready to burst out of its skin. Thanks to the way I dress you probably can't tell that much but I can feel it. I'm being honest just to try and shame myself into doing something about it. So far its not working. As Jesus noted about his friends when he asked them to stay awake and pray "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" or in my case "would rather eat Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and play on the computer rather than running or doing the Shred". I have bought a Zumba DVD but it hasn't done much good yet. perhaps because it hasn't come out of the box.

I need to gain some discipline. I'm still trying to work out what to do about Lent. For these 40 days i try to take things on as well as give things up. I have bought a lent devotional book which I hope to combine with some light crafting. I will do the Christian Aid Count Your Blessings and I might have to give up sweets and chocolate. (Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Its only worth giving things up for Lent if it really hurts. I think this year it will)

Anyway onto something much more slimming (more for the wallet than anything else) Cardmaking.
This week on Daring Cardmakers the theme is Love is in the Air (song now going round my head) and here is my rather bright interpretation of the theme

It wasn't really meant to be like this. I knew I wanted to do a button filled heart. I've seen one recently and fell in love but of course didn't keep a link so please let me know in the comments so I can credit properly.
The papers are old Echo Park. I do love a bit of pink and orange together. I drew a heart on white cardstock and coloured it with pink distress ink. Then I had fun choosing buttons to match the colours on the patterned papers. I glued them on lightly and then sewed them to the heart with white thread. I then decided to add some liquid pearls which had mixed success!


The sentiment letters are Dienamics dies. I stuck three layers together, the top one being embossed with Swiss Dots and outlined like everything else with a Sharpie pen.
I've only made one other card this week. I actually remembered my rule of trying to make a card using off cuts from a scrap page. I've almost finished this paper - but still not quite. This October Afternoon paper is quite similar in some ways to the Echo Park used on the other one. Its a bit older though I think
Yuppers - I know what I like in cards and that is a variation on  the same theme! Dies, embossing folders, Sharpie pen, base layer just a little smaller than the card base. Check. Only difference here are some handcut flowers and leaves. And the fact that the Liquid Pearls (check) was used to create a few large blobs not a lot of little ones.

And that is all she crafted! I've got a sermon to write, a wedding couple to talk to and a house to clean tomorrow so I'm not sure much crafting will be done. Its no good me hoping. I know that saying to a congregation "I didn't finish the sermon, but look at this lovely get well card" won't go down particularly well.... Have a lovely weekend whatever you are up to.

4 comments:

SueH said...

I just admire the way you manage to put such bright colours together. Whenever I’ve tried to do that it just looks like a big clashy (is that a word?) mess.
I feel for you with the weight thing. I’ve put a stone of the two I lost back on, hence the swimming once a week but if I’m honest all it succeeds in doing is working up an appetite……defeating the object, or what, Lol.

Happy Crafting!
Sue

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Gorgeous cards Lythan, I really love the bright colours, very cheery which is just what we need at this time of year! Hmm, I'm toying with the idea of giving up chocolate myself for lent in an attempt to lose a bit of weight, but not sure if I want to be that mean to myself :( You're right though it's only worth giving up something if it hurts lol

Miri said...

Oh, your cards are stunning! The colours are great.

By the way: I love Zumba (it's my second favourite hobby). You should really give it a try.

MagsB said...

Your bright, pretty cards are so cheerful to see on a cold, dark evening!

Goodness, you have busy times ahead! I hope all goes well for you!

love Mags B x