Friday, August 03, 2007

Harping about

its hard physical work you know playing the harp. First you have to lug it about (or find at least one person to help you). Then you have to pluck the strings. Now if you are good and practice all the time then you get nice tough finger tips. But if like me, you play as little as possible then you have to grow blisters on your blisters until it goes hard again. And you also have to move the pedals which can make your legs ache - plus it is better in high heels which make my back ache (maybe they could make high heel crocs? they do platform ones). AND you have to add in the fear factor. When I am nervous I seize up, which means when I relax again I get all crampy. And I was nervous yesterday.

Still... not too many wrong notes, people talking over me (which I prefer to listening) and a bit of crafty money to spe.... oh no I already bought a bind it all with the money! And more importantly the bride and groom looked radiant.

On a side note I do wish that Registrars would get a little training in how to deliver their words better. The woman yesterday was lovely, but didn't have much of a sense of phrasing and a rather harsh tone to her voice. Things that can be worked on! I guess I do so much public speaking I am a bit critical. I know, I will put voice trainer and registrar of births, marriages and deaths on my list of jobs I might do if I wasn't a Minister.

I once again just made it under the wire for the Daring Cardmakers this week. Slight irony as the theme is Time...
Hi there, It's me, Kathy, here to dare you this week;
OK, Absolutely anything goes this week as long as it's on the theme of TIME. "It's About Time" So you can use clocks, calendars, quotes, sayings, pictures, nursery rhymes, or altered art-type stuff, whatever takes your fancy - just take some time out to play and have some fun; remember, time flies when you're having fun!

I did manage to make this last night but then it was dark so couldn't photograph it until today.
All the paper is Scenic Route. The clock face is a digital design by Paula Healey
The heart and wings are the same image cut apart from I made this today
the font is Barbara Hand.
All those items were printed out on acetate which adhered beautifully to the paper with Pritt Stick and so far it is still stuck down today! "love" has a layer of stickles underneath. The just lots of inking, outlining and layering. Plus a bloom and my LAST red poundland bling (sob!). I know a couple celebrating their ruby wedding so that is why the gem is red. The rest of the card is on the ruby grapefruit side of ruby - but then they will probably be fed up with red!

Phil has gone to visit his mum today as she has some remedial work to do following the flood so there ain't nobody here but us chickens!

Thanks for all your kind comments about Salt. We have had a few teething problems but at least now we can all see the banner and all the creations. I'm sure it will help us all to explore and deepen our faith. Talking of which I have a sermon slot to prepare!

18 comments:

Keryn Campbell said...

When I went into the DCM blog and saw your card I just had to go Awhh! It's such a lovely romantic card.

So Sonya said...

that is a gorgeous card!!

Penny said...

Lovely card, really fun and funky!

Hazel said...

Beautiful card - very suitable for a ruby wedding - I'm sure the couple will love it.

mum-on-the-run said...

Lovely card Lythan, love the heart and wings!! Can't get the vision of high-heeled Crocs out of my head now :D

Kathy said...

This is such a gorgeous card Lythan, the colour is beautiful and that red jewel really catches the eye.

Glad to here you stayed Sharp on the Harp and enjoyed the wedding

Anna said...

This is absolutely fantastic. I am a sucker for Scenic Route papers and they add to the uniqueness of your card.

P.S. Congratulations on your new venture.

Paula J Atkinson said...

Gorgeous card, love the wings spread protectively.

I'm not sure if I have already wished you well with your new venture, Salt. My memory has turned jelly since the day I found I had these damn cysts growing merrily inside me!!

Gillian .... said...

lovely composition, funky colours too :)

Karen L said...

Love the card too Lythan - love the papers, colours and especially love the wings. Enjoyed catching up and seeing some of your lovely work. By the way, I found your link through the SALT blog. Am an Aussie from Scrap of Faith.

Jo said...

That is such a beautiful card, the colours are fabby, and I love the little bit of bling :) Huge congrats on the the launch of Salt, the blog look amazing.

jo xx

Unknown said...

Fab card Lythan! Love the fac that you've printed onto acetate. I used printed acetate, but mine was bought!

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Great layout love this.

Godelieve said...

Your card is lovely in every way! The red jewel is a really nice finishing touch!

Kate said...

I do like this card, and I always thought harp playing looked so effortless!

Anita said...

That is a gorgeous card.. in fact you've got lots of gorgeous cards on here, I will catch up on them all but I probably won't leave comments on all of them... Oh its good to be back!

Stephanie Mosher said...

Beautiful card! The sentiment is so true. Your heart, clock and wings are perfect. Thanks for sharing :O)

Alhambra Club said...

Love the card, and the "wings of time"