Friday, July 25, 2008

A trip down memory lane

This weeks Daring Cardmakers dare was a goodie - Golden Oldies.
we thought it would be nice to have a look back, and dig out some of our 'old' papers and embellishments and make a card with our 'preloved' treasures. I think the tendency these days is to get on the 'latest must have' band wagon, sometimes, its nice to recognise what we already have- even if it isn't the 'latest' embellishment/paper.
I was very good and pulled out some of my oldest stuff.
And then I saw what the others had done and no fair! they all seem to have had way better taste than me early on in my cardmaking days! One of my first buys was from QVC - an Anna Griffin box. It was all a bit twee for me at the time but I thought it would be good for "old ladies" cards. But as the cards that came are the wrong size - neither American nor British I rather stopped using it at all. So I opened it up and very bravely made some cards.

Actually I found lots of things in there that I had forgotten! There are some really rather lovely stamps in the kit and I found an image of a butterfly stamped on vellum in the box too.

SO this uses some of the papers, a background stamp on cream card, and the butterfly. The ink round the sentiment looks a bit better in real life!

Then I stamped the image again using two distress inks - pine and lime I think. OH my! I have never tried this before but I love the effect!
Can't really see it much on the nestied sentiment but it looks better in real life
Card and papers from the Anna Griffin kit.
I had to make three sympathy cards for my mum - that is why they are all sympathy cards
But I decided to do something a bit less "classic" for my actual card
I went for shabby chic!
Lots if distressing and crinkling and rolling and layering. Bazzill buttons and ribbon from stash. With love stamped using £1 wooden alphas from the Range.
Its going to need a padded envelope (I know how it feels...)

House is v. quiet as kids are in Swansea and Hub is rescuing chickens! I'm about to phone the kids for the second time today as first I had to tell Carys she had Distinction in her Grade 1 Music Theory. You go girl!

7 comments:

Hazel said...

Well done, Carys - great result.

Fab cards, Lythan - just shows what can be made with some of the stuff we have stashed away.

Jozza said...

Yay well done Carys!! Clever girl :o)

Those cards are all so beautiful Lythan. I've never ever bought any Anna Griffin but it looks lovely stash (or it could just be what you've done with it!)

xxx

Rachel said...

Fab result for Carys!!! And beautiful cards too - glad you are getting some play time in your quiet house!!

Rachel

Rika said...

Really beautiful, love the mix of papers.

asia wu said...

Gorgeous cards, each of them is really unique.

SueH said...

Beautiful, beautiful cards Lythan.
I think I still have some of those papers and cards from that kit in the bottom of the cupboard somewhere if you need some more!

Congratulations on the exam result Carys...what a star!
Maybe one day one I come over I'll get to hear you play.

Kathy said...

Well done Carys, A Distinction is fab, good on you!

Your cards are lovely. Lythan, I do believe you must have more craft hidey holes than I do - you keep coming up with more stuff form out of them! I think the same as you about the Anna Griffin stuff - but how come you actually went and bought them????

I love your DCM card - the mix of old and new is fantastic. O love the idea of dragging out the old stuff and giving it a makeover