Tuesday, July 26, 2011

All aboard the skylark!


All aboard the skylark!
Which for those of you of a certain age will be a reminder of this - one of those bittersweet programmes that came at the end of kids tv and let you know that the boring stuff like the news was coming.
That and this are going round my head at the moment. Aaah. Even that Thames TV opening credit is like a Proustian Madeleine wafting me back to days gone by.
And why am I whisked back to my yuoth? Why we are doing a holiday club at Church.
Three guesses on the theme...
Well done.

I love doing holiday clubs. I may moan a bit in the morning. (What me, moan?) but these kids are really lovely - even if some of them were only born in 2006! We are doing a Messy Church style of club with lots of craft, song and retelling of the story. It is a reminder of how short the attention span can be. And what children are prepared to tell you about their families (so Mr X has a nipple ring does he?)
BUT I also have had to remember how completely shattering they are as well! I was trying to study leadership and the church for my MA this afternoon and kept dropping the book (then gave up and had a quick nap!)

Its a funny story though isn't it Noah and the Ark?
There's a gurt big boat
and lots of cuddly animals.
And a beautiful rainbow.
And the annihilation of most of the population of the world apparently
Yet its one of the ones we love to tell to children.
Maybe its a good reminder that life is not always sunshine and rainbows. But I do struggle with the thought that God would be so cruel.
Most of the countries around Israel have very similar stories of the floods e.g. the Gilgamesh one so it is pretty likely that there was a devastating flood at some point in history that people were trying to make sense of. But did God really cause it?
(NB the above paragraph will not be making its way into the holiday club!)

When I haven't been trying to get my head round the size of the ark (football pitch big) or how all the animals would survive 40 days, I have been doing a spot of crafting. I have also been doing a spot of meeting up with the lovely Sue H who gave me the most amazing birthday present that will have to have a post of its own in the next few days.

Here are two of the upcoming wedding scrap pages - many more to come!
I save sketches on my computer and put them in weekly folders with the name of where they come from on them. Except I failed with this one and it only says "July sketch" on it. if anyone recognises the sketch would you let me know please?
I pretty well slavishly copied it
Details: Cardstock: Bazzill; Papers: MME and Pink Paislee (one side coloured with distress inks); Mists: Tattered Angels and Cosmic Shimmer; Punches: Martha Stewart; Glitter: Glamour dust; Letters: Websters Pages; Pearls: Prima
and this one is from this weeks Pencil Lines Sketch 247
Link(Carys and I had our fascinators for £14 in total. I must do a page on how cheap her whole outfit was!)

Details: Cardstock: Bazzill; Papers: Cosmo Cricket Circa 1934; Stickers: Cosmo Cricket; Punch: EK Success; Swirl: Tim Holtz; Paints: Deco Art and Ranger; Embellishements: Craftwork Card Candi, Mei Flower gems

4 comments:

Kate said...

Nutty Noah and Niggly Nellie, do remember them well! That first sketch that you can't credit is lovely, I want to try that one if you ever find out who's it was!

** Kate **

Sue said...

LOVING the pages both of them - your family do scrub up well - as do you and Phil of course you look a proper lady xxxxx

cat123 said...

This is a lovely layout with so many cute details! Thanks for playing along with us at Pencil Lines!

Kathy said...

Those LOs are so gorgeous Lyth.
You all look so posh in your wedding gear!