Friday, July 15, 2011

Best of times, worst of times

We have our big family wedding tomorrow - we are so excited. Here are the happy couple
Although the forecast says rain it will NOT raid it will be sunshine and roses all the way!

The only raincloud on the horizon is that my nephew and great nephew (yup I'm that old) got as far as Heathrow to find their documents and money had been stole ON THE PLANE. I can't talk much about what happened next as there are going to be repurcussions but the upshot is that they were put on a plane back to Canada within a few hours of landing and before much could be done about it. And a little while later the documents turned up at the airport - but that is too late now. They have been treated appallingly (can you imagine having to entertain a 20 month old on two consecutive 7 hour trips? and that is not the half of it) and we will miss them so much at the wedding.

So be warned - your possessions are not safe on a plane.

Onto nicer things though!
This week we had another corker of a challenge on Daring Cardmakers when Nat asked us to pick a pin from Pinterest and use that as our inspiration. I have been trying to avoid Pinterest as I know I will get sucked in - and it was all rather overwhleming when I had a look. Too many lovely images in one place! But I was drawn to this image of what I think are creamcicles (we don't have them in the UK)
from here. Which was pinned to start with but now is from tumblr. Which all makes me feel very old and confused! Anyhoo here is what I did with the inspiration
I made an A6 stand up card and cut lots of rectangles out, rounded the corners and then trimmed off a bit. I sewed some lines kind of where the sticks were and added a simple label greeting and a Prima resin flower.

Details: Cardstock: PTI; Papers: MME Stella and Rose and Line Twist, various collections; Inks: Vintage Photo distress ink and Roan Brown coloursnap Chalk ink; stamps: Personal Impressions; Punch: EK Success; Dies: Nestabilities; Resin flower: Prima; Thread: Ribbon Girl

Here is a recent scrap page which records my various fun outfits at Church fairs over the years.
"Happy" was already on the paper which helped me choose a title
and I wrote about the fact that I didn't buy anything to make up the outfits, somehow everything was in the house. I needed to write down the moment that I felt in the pocket of the tail coat and found a little pencil that my "Pop" (what I called my Grandad) must have used. He died 33 years ago (as it happened we were married on the anniversary of his death which brought him into it somehow). I lvoed him so much and still miss him and finding the pencil made me cry - but in a good way.
Details: Cardstock: MME LOst and Found paper; Template : That special touch; Paint: Distress Stain; Images: Echo Park and QVC; Letters: Webesters Pages and Cosmo Cricket; Ribbon: Kaiser coloured with Distress Ink

The other slight downer about the wedding is that I can't attend the new stamp launch at Imagine That. Emma has excelled herself this time. I was able to borrow some stamps to make up new classes and didn't want to give them back. There are 7 wonderfuls sets! And tomorrow she is offering 20% off everything and demos and make and takes so do go along if you are near Upminster. (or even if you are not. The train/tube station is only 5 minutes walk from the shop!)

9 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

I love your inspiration photo and what you did with it - this challenge has my interested so I will play along for the first time :-)

Lynda said...

Wow Lythan I'm amazed how you've made a card from a stack of lollies - now that's inspirational! I love it! Have a wonderful time at the wedding and I'm sure your Nephew and his son will be greatly missed - it really is awful what has happened.

Love Lynda xxx

Kathy said...

grrrr to the airline fiasco. I'll say no more!
Your DCM card is fab - when I saw the card I thought you'd used a pile of cushions or something like that as your inspiration - the actual photo is far more tasty looking though!

That LO is just fabulous - what a brilliant way to record the fun you've had

Dolly Mixtures said...

Wonderfully inspiration - those creamsicles (?) look the business! I love the colours and how you haveinterpreted them in the faded, shabby colours and patterns. All in all a lovely card.
Angela

Natty said...

Oooh that photo of creamsicles has left me drooling a bit - I love the papers and colours you've used in your card Lythan, such a wonderful interpretation of the original. Most delish!

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Love the inspiration photo you've picked, and your card is brilliant, I love the colour combination and the colours. Hope you had a lovely time at the wedding and the rain held off x

Simple homemade living said...

So sorry to hear about your nephew that is awful how they have been treated. I hope the wedding went ok.

The card you have made is stunning the inspiration photo is just one I wouldn't have even thought of for card making.

I love the LO too x

Zuzana Obert said...

Ice lollies!? That is so sweet and fabulous idea Lythan :0) I love it.

Zuz. x x

Oscar said...

How yummy is your inspiration photo, love how you've interpreted it. x