Saturday, February 15, 2014

We are going to need a bigger Ark

I can't decide whether I am going to wake up tomorrow on Ararat or in Oz. The weather in South Devon has been so wet and so windy this week. And last week. And the week before. Etc. I live waaaaay above sea level so little chance of flooding just here. Although a few streets away a house has just fallen into the sea....

So to distract myself I have been enjoying making some cards. And this week's Daring Cardmakers' challenge has been such a joy. And a bit hard as well :)
The joy came from the fact we were sent some fabulous goodies from the latest Quirky Kit. Now, as I am on the QK design team I may seem a little biased. But honestly? This kit has just driven my creative juices wild. So many lovely things to play with. I can't wait to get my full kit next week. Rather than just creating one card I have made 5 - but not all fit with the theme of the dare
Which is the hard bit - a touch of neon - is the dare for this week.

You do need to bear in mind that there has been very little sun this week and so it has been hard to get a good photo. All these cards look rather blue/white so imagine the colours a bit brighter please! Eventually I hope to retake the photos - apart from the card I have already sent that is!

So neon cards first
I cut down one of the grid cards. The grey patterned card with white circle is from a cut apart sheet. I cut two strips of patterned paper and stamped a Pink Paislee "happy" on one of them. "Birthday" was written using Cosmo Cricket letter stickers (from the last time bright pink was "in"). I added a bow made from the string in the kit and added some Daffodil liquid pearls. We won't mention the fact that the pearls went slightly wrong at the bottom :)

What I hadn't done on that card was use my nemesis - the VERY neon yellow card. I decided that I really needed to give it a go.
but I did cheat a bit! I found this pink and neon green ribbon from the time before the last time bright pink was in and so daubed some Peeled Paint distress ink on top of the yellow to make it more of a green neon. And actually the match is now exact in real life. I used a large herringbone embossing folder on the card base and then layered up various papers from the kit. The flower is a Martha Stewart punch and the button is actually a toning bright pink. Once I had added the Clearly Besotted sentiment I decided that some of the white space at the botton needed filling so I stamped some Imagine That tiny flowers in bright pink and stuck some Beads in a bottle bright green dots on the top (again, a better colour match than it looks here).

Then I decided to combine two trends together - neon and gold. Mainly because I have a new Delicta gold ink pad which is a lovely bright gold colour.
The pink card is from one of my old Self Addressed card kits. Some of the cardbase styles were not me but I am glad that I kept them as I love the colours and can use them like this. I added a background stamp using my new gold ink pad. The papers are all from the Quirky Kit and I also used a die cut flower from a Crate Paper line. I added the gold pen for emphasis. The green circle has Fruit Punch Stickles all over it. Finally I added the sentiment in that gold ink again. The final touch was some American Crafts glitter tape.

Now come my not at all neon cards - which are actually my favourites.
Lots of black pen going on here! That vellum is just the most beautiful material ever. I added some Wink of Stella glitter pen to the circle just above the cloud and also on the raindrops. The Paper Smooches sentiment just said "get well" which seems a bit abrupt for British ears so added the meek "soon" using a brush pen.

Although part of me wanted to just hoard the vellum I was a big girl and used a huge piece of it.

The feathers are cut on the Cameo and I dipped the ends in Versamark and embossed them with glitter embossing powder. Then I outlined the rest of the feather with a gold pen. I stamped and embossed the Clearly Besotted sentiment using Detail Gold powder. I used a heat gun on the back of the vellum and there were no problems. I edged the vellum piece with gold ink. After attching the feathers I used glue on the vellum behind them and also used the strip of gold tape to anchor the vellum to some white card. The whole piece was then raised on foam pads.

Hope you have enjoyed looking at these as much as I enjoyed making them :)


Miri said...

Wow! What a great collection of cards.
(I think the good thing about rain is that you don't feel bad when you spend the whole day crafting instead of being outside...)

Natty said...

All gorgeous, gorgeous cards - I especially love what you did with the vellum. :)