Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Daring Doodling

For this week's Daring Cardmakers Little Extra it was my turn to do a tutorial. Ulp! I wasn't sure what to do as my work is pretty derivative and basic, but Rhi suggested showing how I add more patterns to patterned paper. So that is what I have done! The Queens of doodling like this are really SJ Scrappyfairy and Tracie Hudson - just look at the details on their cards and layouts! Anyway if you find the tutorial at all helpful or inspiring let me know.

I did do some crafting yesterday - I finished the tute stuff and then made two cards using up some scraps from the Love, Elsie page of the day before. Now the cards were supposed to be quick - and the second one was - but the first took for EVER! It was just getting the inspiration right really.
From Love, Elsie came the little square of fabric paper cut using a cuttlebug die, and also the blue paper. It actually says "love art" but I think that on its side it looks a bit like alien language. The little fella is Mimo from the Doodle Factory. I've only got the aliens in this tiny size - just to see what they are like. V. cute I think! He was coloured in with sharpie pens and mounted on a foam pad. The red paper is DCWV card stock with a few extra doodles. And I was very pleased with my roundy writing. I'll have to practice some more fonts as I am too lazy to print them out or stamp them if I can get them neat enough by hand.
Tip: to do the fonts as neat as possible I cut the strips of paper down first. "hope your birthday is" is about 1 cm high, the other lettering about 2 cm. And I don't usually try to do a whole sentence like the one above in case it all goes wrong.

this was simpler! 3 squares of love Elsie and one sticker mounted on white squares onto a blue square onto a white card. "Enjoy" and "your birthday" have foam pads underneath.
(totally unecessary angled shot but it looks quite cool!) The purple thing is my stamp mat.

And then came a layout based on an old Pencil Lines sketch
Bazzill - kraft
Lynden Scenic Route papers
Scenic Route letter stickers
title done using craft robo and mandingo font
shisha mirror squares
Ranger dabber paint to create journalling spot - my own handwriting!
Grungeboard heart
Scroll above photo is from an old Self Addressed kit.
I've also been working on a double layout - maybe my one and only as I really struggled. Mind you I found 12x12 hard to start with. It needs (a lot) more work and I have RSI from trying to squeeze out copper coloured stickles glue. Anyone got any hints about making stickles easier to use?

5 comments:

Hazel said...

Just catching up with all the fab stuff you've been doing in the last few days. Lol! at the unmade bed LO - brilliant! I must pop over to DCM and see your tut.

Lucy Mills said...

Thank you Lythan for your lovely comment in my blog. Took a look at your tutorial and found it really helpful. Your creations are beautiful!

Jackie said...

Thank you very much for a brilliant challenge and your kind words.
Your work is fab!

CraftyC said...

Some lovely pieces!
Clairexx

Kathy said...

Ohhh these projects are all fab. Especially like that card with the white space - good to see you're still with me and practising the "use white space" more often thing. That turquoise looks amazing on the white backgroun