Friday, July 24, 2009

Its oh so still

The kidlets are having a whale of a time.
Too quiet here though...

We are still planning how to get to University Open Days with H. Why are all the good course for Computer Games Creation ooop North? We discovered the other day there is an excellent course at Dundee. So lucky Phil will have an 8 hour drive each way to see it and we will just have to work out how on earth we do the logistics if that is the best course for him. Hywel is really very, very good at computers. Scary brain sort of good. And creative. So the course is a good fit for him. But visits to Dundee would be few and far between. It costs too much to go by train for the two - or fly (though that might be an option for Hywel if he goes there) Suddenly Teeside (current number 1 choice) seems a stones throw away!

Today is Daring Card day. I did post my card on the blog at the right time but somehow life got away from me after that! This week the theme is
On The Edge

We'd love to see you making use of all sorts of border treatments; scallops, trims, pleats, or anything else which makes the edges of your papers and cards look special. You could use Border Punches, Die Cutters, Lace, Fancy Trims and that's just for starters - let your imagination live right on the edge this week - or maybe even go right over the edge!

I bought these fab clear cards ages ago and keep forgetting to use them so I gave myself a mini challenge of a clear card. Actually I think you have to think a card through better than I do to use these as I ened up with too much on the top layer I think! I used the same card pad as Vanessa (Ellepiggo). She has been using her Cosmo Cricket Get Happy papers for a while and that must have influenced me! Still unless you have the papers yourself or are sad enough to know who makes what (like me!) you would never know!
there are 7 borders on my card... I made it from the bottom up. First I cut into the acrylic with a Martha Stewart border punch. Then I remembered that is a stupid idea as it won't stand up. Then I punched through some American Crafts black cardstock as well as a CC Get Happy paper. I layered these and with my Cropodile made sure that there was not much acrylic/black showing through. My hands were killing by the end!
I cut another paper and added a pompom border trim and stuck it on using foam pads. "Just for you" is a sentiment block which I added a Bazzill wite card border to using a Martha Stewart doily punch. Then I remembered the thing about layers and added a white apron punch border (Fiskars this time) to the back. And finally there is a black border on the inside of the card and a white one on the back of the card. You can see that better here when the card was forced shut (it do like to spring open, it do)
A cuttlebug cut and embossed butterfly with a polka dot button and floss and my work is done.
Until it came to photographying the blummin' thing which proved harder than expected...
Here is a side view (I took a million shots, you watch a million shots...)

What I'm not showing was the inside front cover. It started off neat enough. Not quite like that now!

there is a bit of excitement for me today as the Docrafts Layout of the Week is by me!!!!
You can read the details on the docrafts site (ie they are long and involved and I'm not repeating them) What I will say is
1: You can click on this one to get a close up if you want to
2: I am soooo happy when colours of papers etc exactly match my photos. The match is even closer in real life
3: See where that flower ribbon looks out of focus? It isn't. That is how it looks in the package. Real time out of focus ribbon. Wierd.
4: One of the photos is upside down. It was too late to do anything about it. Had you spotted it?

I was going to see my brother this weekend in Blackpool (well my weekend which is Sunday/Monday/sneaking a bit of Tuesday). It is embarrassing to tell how long it is since we have seen each other. But something has cropped up which means it won't happen. I am v. disappointed.

It does give me some time to make some birthday cards - I have 4 left and half my congregation seem to have birthdays in August! but that isn't quite the same thing. StillI have promised my self that if I use up some of my basic grey pads I can have some new ones!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

That card is just fantastic - you've managed to get so many edgy bits in there and it all looks amazing. I love those CC papers too - one of those I wasn't sure about when I first saw them then ended up buying more of!

Great LO too, and congrats on the LO of the week "crown"

Dundee does sound a verrrrrrry long way away. Teeside is on the doorstep in comparison!

pmk said...

But Scotland is so fab and you could visit us en route lol.

Great card by the way! Off to have a look at docrafts!

Denise Clark said...

WOW! Now that's a lotta borders! I love the pom pom border. I also love the green butterfly! Great touch!

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Beautiful, I love the layers and the colours work really well x

Chris said...

Gorgeous card Lythan and your layout is superb, congrats on being features on DC. All the layers on your card look so beautiful, the papers and colours are so pretty. I agree about the photographing bit, acetate cards are really tricky but yours look great. Chris x