Thursday, March 18, 2010

Balance

As I shared the fact that I won something recently I ought to share the failures too. I did apply for the Sketchy Thursdays design team and wasn't selected. Boo hoo. Still the sketches are amazing and the people they chose are fab and maybe it just wasn't my time. So its important to pick myself up and enjoy all the things I am privileged to do - like teach in my local scrap store Imagine That this afternoon. And my job. Sometimes it lays me down flat and sometimes it has me curled in a ball in despair. And sometimes it fills me with joy and wonder and a sense that God has more work for me and the churches I serve to do. Finding our balance, our purpose, is good.

I need to think about balance because I am about to go into a crazy wonderful time called Easter. There are so many things to prepare, so many ways to worship and celebrate Holy Week and Easter means that I will be working more than I rest or play. And then it will be a short time of rest before getting my MA essay done. Then I can breathe a bit more! But balance is important. Ministers are not always very good at that and even when you practice it, it is hard because often we gain pride from overwork. "If I don't have any time off then I am obviously doing all that I can for God". When I deliberately try to make sure I have space for self care I then sometimes feel I am not doing enough.

OK a lot of that was more for me than for you- just something I need to keep reflecting on. And in order to balance my day I have a lot of work bits to do so will quickly move on to my Salt Challenge this fortnight.
Hang on, no I won't because I was going to talk about the Talented Mr Ripley. As ever, the set was visually stunning and oh so clever. If I didn't have season tickets which means I see everything I wouldn't have chosen this as I don't really like anti heros. You had to concentrate - the adaptation was quirky but worked. Bottom line - I enjoyed it but didn't love it. Although I did appreciate the skills in getting dressed and undressed on stage and men looking buff in 1950's style swimming trunks.

Right, back to Salt. I chose the theme this time.
Penitence
Which I would put simply as "being aware of what we have done wrong and seeking God's forgiveness" or having a sense of regret for sin and wanting to make a sincere change. The focal reading for me is this one 1 John 1:8-9
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
Which comes before the prayer of confession in some orders of worship. What does it mean to be aware of our wrong doing and of the forgiveness we receive through Jesus Christ? How can we sincerely make a change in our lives? There are many ways that the word and the reading may take you.

I've just realised that the unusual thing I do with Salt is that I have a theme and then chose a photo rather than vice versa. This pic was the best I could find

I was trying to get C to look sad but I said "think about dead puppies" and for some reason she giggled instead. Maybe I should be penitent over that... I decided to tint the photo. May have gone overboard on the colour (Phil says perhaps it is meant to represent what happens after you die if you don't repent. No Phil it is not). Anyway Carys is supposed to be looking penitent and prayerful. I love these lines from 1 John.
We all do what is wrong sometimes. The key is sincere repentance (which means turning back to God) and ALSO accepting forgiveness - which can feel just as hard. Faith is knowing that you really truly are forgiven and loved.

I went quite simple with kraft cardstock and suede/toffee apple glimmer mists and wild honey/old photo distress inks. Strips of Pink Paislee and Basic Grey papers and die cuts; a Prima stamp and gems; Basic Grey rubons and a Card Creations flower.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Lythan - Wonderful theme, I think repentence is the most important topic really, and stunning layout (of course!!) Your scrapbook pages are always so beautiful! I love the color change on the photo (your hubby's comment is hysterical)! Sorry to hear about the design team...how could anyone pass you up? They don't know what they're missing! :-)

Unknown said...

Lythan this lo is stunning! I agree that I love the color change of the photo and how simple and well put together it is! Great topic too!

Hazel said...

Love the LO - the glimmer misting is so right and the photo of Carys - love the colour (nevermind what Phl says - lol) - thank you for a good challenge. This time we seemed to have the same thoughts on shapes and colours - orange must be in! x