Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Going for Gold

I do apologise if you now have a cheesy 80's theme tune stuck in your head. If not, click on this if you dare. And how was it fair to have a European quiz - only in English. It wasn't that we wanted to be superior now was it?

I'm quite excited because I am on holiday and I can see a hint of gold in the sky. Yes for two days in a row there has been sunshine in Torquay. I understand that it does happen here on a regular basis, just not since we moved down last July. We are holidaying at home with a little something on every day and a lot of snoozing/reading even some housework on occasion. Good times. Monday Phil and I went to Coleton Fishacre, a local National Trust property. There are LOADS round here so we had membership as a Christmas present. It is an Arts and Crafts house styled in the 1930's which meant I was in heaven. We will go again. Yesterday as it was sunny we went underground to Kents Cavern. That is in walking distance of the house. We were going to go by car until I spotted you have to pay £2 to park. So we walked the 15 minutes or so in the sunshine. I had already saved about £6 by booking online first so was bound to enjoy it. Parents loved it, teenagers less so. There is something amazing about being in a place that was there thousands of years ago. And that was excavated by one keen man with a spade and a candle.

The real reason for the title of the post is that gold has become a big feature of the crafting world at the moment. And do I slavishly follow trends? Why of course I do. So here is the goldiest card you have ever seen...
Maybe a slight exaggeration you say? well, the background is a duck egg blue MME paper with gold embossing paste over the top. The photo doesn't do it justice as it is so shimmery and gorgeous. I will be doing this again a LOT. The papers were all outlined with a gold leaf pen. I added some American Crafts gold glitter ribbon, I added gold glamour dust to the dry embossed circle, I outlined the numbers with a different gold pen; combined two inks for a gold feel sentiment and then added some golden dots with Stickles. Then smudged them (fortunately without smearing them) and redid them again. I can't believe the person this card is headed for is 80 so thought she might as well flaunt it with this card.

I also made this card just for fun. I had coloured the stamped image in before Christmas and stuck it into the PBandJ 6x6 paper pad by Basic Grey for whenever I felt like turning it into a card. Which was Monday as it turned out
I am loving hand cut random strips of paper at the moment. It is so freeing not even trying to be straight.

And finally for now a card for a friend who is... well you work it out

 It is one of those cards that looks simple but took age and I am still not totally happy with it. Oh well. The papers are Lucky Charm and the dies are MFT; Quickutz and Spellbinders

I have been scrapping as well but can't show those layouts just yet as they will be revealed first, at some point on the Imagine That blog. I "imagine" I will tell you when that is...

No comments: