Thursday, January 06, 2011

Holiness

I'm really not a very holy person.
Even though I am paid to be.
I am all too aware of my faults and failings.
And how they can become an excuse "I was born that way"
No excuse at all Rev Nev!
This "New Year" (actually only one of many - School = September; Jewish = Sept/Oct; Christian year = Advent; financial year = April etc, etc) is a time to reflect and to try and loosen the bindings of complacency once more.
Although it is EXTRA hard when the mornings are dark and I am exhausted after Christmas and just want to lie in bed and eat chocolate which is sadly not very biblical.
But today's SALT challenge is helping me in my thinking about how to make a change. And Kim's blog has a wonderful reflection on wanting change, praying for change and making change that I will be dwelling with for a while.
Kim challenged the Salt team to "Pray for holiness"
and here is what I came up with
A picture of a Willow Tree angel and a determination to strive to be the best me I can be.
I am very good at comparing myself badly to other people. Apparently this is a trait of people who are INFP on Myers Briggs (don't know what that means? Have a Google, it is very interesting). So this year I have decided that what I need to work on is being who God has called me to be - ie me and not anyone else.
Sigh.
It is hard work though!
But that is where the verse that Kim have us is so helpful
and if I manage this
perhaps I will be closer to my goal.
The papers are all Lily Bee Christmas Town purchased because I like the die cuts (one used as the photo frame) and they are not too Christmassy. We didn't really take any photos over Christmas so that is just as well.
Other products used:
Flourish stamp and white chalk ink
Jenni Bowlin buttons
Sticky backed copper studs from Imagine That
EK success label punch
Tim Holtz flourish die
Crochet ribbon from stash

I've also made a few cards - some tiny thank you cards using up odds and ends (Scenic Route and Funky Hand)
and some cards based on a sketch by Joke I found - I think through 2Sketches4U
(papers all Funky hand)
I think I will adapt it a bit more as it is a great way to make 4 cards at the same time. The card is still quite big though.
Sentiment is from Imagine That

4 comments:

Kim said...

Beautiful Lythan! I love those angels...I have one in the kids room. :-) I totally share your sentiments on holy living. It's hard (I once 'complained' that santification was far too painful!) but I'm striving to rely more on Christ and less on my stubborn self that thinks I can manage everything. Not every day is easy but I am calmer than I've ever been. Praying that this year is a blessing for you!! XXOO

Hazel said...

A superb LO once again . I know exactly where you're coming from, I struggle with being 'me'- the 'me' that I am and the 'me' that I'd like to be x

Hazel said...

Meant to also say I love the funky cards x

Anice said...

What a great post..but then what did I expect from you? I'm not holy either..infact I have no faith, something that I sometimes wish I did have because I have alot in my life that I need support over. Loving all your cards and layouts as I always do and have (especially the Funky Hand ones of course) Miss you loads here in the gang. I wish you and your family a wonderful New Year and that you achieve everything you set out to in 2011.
Much love Anice x