Thursday, April 14, 2011

Palm Sunday ponderings

I'm having a few moments away from preparing for Palm Sunday and waiting for the phone to ring with sad but not unexpected news. It may not ring today, which keeps me on my toes. But it will soon. Which makes it hard for me to concentrate on anything - and I am remarkably easy to distract (oh look a car went passed the window! and a person! And a horse drawn hearse!) (Actually a horse drawn hearse didn't just pass but I live within walking distance of a busy crematorium and do see at least one a week. They are growing in popularity round here).

The thing with Palm Sunday is that you can have a fun service full of hosannas and praise to Jesus and donkeys (if you are really brave) and then the next Sunday it is Easter Sunday full of alleluias and praise to Jesus and Easter eggs (we have mini eggs as part of communion and there is always a bit of me that wants people to not eat them so I can take them all home as I love mini eggs so much.).
And in between though, we have Jesus sharing himself on the cross and helping his friends prepare for his death and the acknowledgement of all that we have done wrong that has brought him to this.
So if you miss out on Holy Week service events, you miss out on the sadness that makes the celebrating even more joyful.
So what to do?

Most years I do a kind of walk through the whole lot of events from Palms to Cross but this year it is a little different. More palms than passion but still something about the cross.
I think.

All of this in head chuntering led me to chose the Salt Challenge for this time around.
The Servant King.
I found this rather lovely picture on the internet and thought that these older MME papers complemented the colours. I shoved them around a bit, inked, outlined and then added extra bits where the outlining went a bit off. It is a technique that stops my work being too regular but I wish my hand wouldn't suddenly make a line where I didn't want it!

Details: Bazzill cream cardstock; Papers: MME; Letters: Websters pages; crown and heart: Grungeboard; Cord brad: Nikki Sivils; stars: Jenni Bowlin; Punch: Martha Stewart: Candi (ugh, hate the new name) Craftwork Cards

The blurb is two verses of "My song is love unknown". How cross am I that it just missed filling the space? Very. Does it really matter in the bigger scheme of things? no.

Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with a Daring Card, but it does depend on whether the phone rings today or not. If you are waiting for bad/sad news - my prayers are with you

5 comments:

Ruth said...

And mine with you. And thank God for mini eggs. x

Hazel said...

My prayers are with you whether you've received the news yet or not. Once again you've hit the nail on the head with your Salt LO and beautifully crafted as ever. x

artfulstampin said...

May you know the Lord's strength and presence at this time. Lovely colourful layout, and sometimes it works out just right when your hand slips doesn't it?!

artfulstampin said...

May you know the Lord's strength and presence at this time. Lovely colourful layout, and sometimes it works out just right when your hand slips doesn't it?!

Kathy said...

You and your friends are in my thoughts. A very sad and difficult time.
The LO is as thoughtful and lovely as all your layouts