Friday, August 30, 2013

Celebrations!

Yesterday my biggest boy was
 His dad and I had lots of fun on Facebook with old photos like this one
although now he looks more like this
and as we were walking along to the cinema yesterday I realised that he has actually grown a bit recently as I was having to look further up than I used to. (Still not tall but almost!)

We celebrated by going to the cinema to see Elysium (which I loved, the rest of the family not so much. It was quite a moral tale - but with lots of scenes to make you go "ew" as well, so sadly, although it makes you think, will not be one I can play clips of on a Sunday morning in Church) and with a Pizza Express meal (yum! and the discount code for 25% off all main courses made it taste even better). The last bit of celebration is tomorrow when we go to the zoo. We were going to go yesterday but Hywel had to sign on in the middle of the day and then we were going to go on Monday but we can't because he will be working. He got a job on his birthday in computer games programming - working from home (8 hours a day!) We are so excited and pleased and proud.

My card was made with celebrating a birthday AND a Daring challenge in mind (always try to do both if I can!) This week's challenge, chosen by Svenja, was Heavy Metal
Here is a bigger version of my card
I made a similar shaker frame for an upcoming Quirky Kits layout and decided it would be fun to do one for the card. I found some chipboard frames and painted them teal. I sandwiched acetate and sequins in between. Fiddly but fun! In order to see them better I put white card at the back. The patterned paper is Fancy Pants.

I used some thin embossing metal with PTI dies and a Cuttlebut embossing folder. I added some silver dots with stickles and left them to dry. In the morning they had all fused together - disaster! But I found some silver stick on gems and a silver (plastic) key to try and disguise the mess. I think it just about worked.

I suppose now I ought to make a congrats card!

2 comments:

Svenja said...

What a development!
I love your card - especially the sequins that seem to be bobbing around in the background.

Miri said...

Your card looks like you had lots of fun making it ... and I'm sure that your son loved receiving it.
Movie, pizza and going to the zoo - that sounds like a perfect birthday celebration to me =)