Saturday, October 10, 2009

Purple prose

Some days this week have been as tough as I feared they might be. The sort of days when I hate being a grown up. But also aware of God's hand on my life - guiding me to right, if painful decisions. Then today I have been even more aware that I am a grown up as I was the parent taking my child to look at University. (Still can't get over that. Really can't). This time it was Coventry

A few points
1: As we were early (thanks to staying overnight in a very comfy Village hotel. Like a four star travelodge for not much more) we got to park at the uni techonology site for free and had lots of help moving around the Uni. Not so good for others as the Uni has built on all their car parks and one of the staff noted that all of them tend to walk 15-20 minutes into work. Good for the environment, not so good for harrassed visitors.
2: If anyone was REALLY impressed with the opening film about how the Uni is on Facebook and I tunes and everything then they do not deserve a place at University
3: New buildings coming in the next few years is great but doesn't that mean that my dear child's studies will be disrupted by building work?
4: Computer studies staff need to co-ordinate how to run groups. 2 1/2 hours round the department is really too much especially when it is 11:45-2:15. I may delay lunch sometimes to watch Doctors but that is 1:45 - still technically lunch time to me! Mind you the pastries we got at the end were tasty!

All that said: Coventry looks to be a friendly and upcoming uni and I liked the Computing staff and would be happy for H to go there. I think I would be happier for him to go in 2012 when the fab new Engineering and Computing building is up and running.

On to crafty news - the stuff I do that makes me still feel young!
Yesterday was Daring cards day and Vanessa chose the theme of Autumn Purple

To be honest I nearly added this card but that would have been a cheat as I made it last week.
I used the scraps of paper from last weeks card and anew Hero Arts stamp and a new Waltzing mouse stamp which co-ordinates with my new Nesties labels 4
But decided it wasn't autumnal enough! So I made a new card with some Bazzill kraft folded to make a 6x3 card.

The papers are all purple - just don't look it! The two papers are Prima I think and I upped the purple on the punched paper by swooshing distress ink all over it. The three blooms are ancient stash and I added coppery glitter to the middle bloom with a glue pen. The middle of the blooms is a Jenni Bowlin button with lots of Prima gems on the top. The cork word came back from a French craft shop in Beurges and I added Craftwork Cards Candy and a Prima gem.

I'll share a layout I have done this week. Putting photos in an album ready to scrap really works for me although it means I have to do a LOT of multi photo layouts and cut down a lot of photos too.
This is the pool complex at the campsite - very nice! Using the August Gottacraft kit; more Prima and more Jenni Bowlin - oh and a Scrappy Fairy journal spot.

Right off to a charity quiz where I may/may not behave like a grown up!

4 comments:

Tip Top said...

Purple is very underestimated!! And I like the wording!

Paula said...

Mmm purple

I went to Coventry Uni 98-2001 if there is anything you want to know. I was in the business building though. I loved it, and you won't need a car because EVERYTHING is in walking distance - great for money saving students, but not so great when moving in and out

Julie M said...

Just have to tell you, Lythan - I'm chortling to myself here, as I read the wording on your DCM card wrongly!! I now see it says "Merci", but at first I thought it said "Nerd"!!!! Had decided it was an in-joke for the person you were giving it to!!

Julie

Lynda said...

Fabulous cards and layout and I just love that huge flower and the gorgeous gems in the centre.

Lynda xxx