Friday, November 21, 2008

Its coffee time

at Daring Card Makers.
But not for me - can't stand the stuff! Wish I did as coffee drinking now is so sophisticated - "I'll have a grande skinny pumpkin latte" sounds so much better than "cuppa please mate". But no. It is still awful.

But as this is Vanessa's first dare I am not being churlish but stepped up to it!

Cafe Chic!
I want to see lots of cards inspired by coffee!! Coffee colours, cup shaped cards, card inspired by a coffee jar label, using coffee beans on your card, coffee shop logos on your cards etc etc.....

I decided to take my inspiration from a coffee jar.
We do have coffee in the house - but only fairtrade! I used the label and the colours as inspiration. The colours I chose were in the end slightly more muted than the jar.
The papers are from an old Self Addressed kit. They are thick and double sided and lovely but I can't remember who makes them. I have to be honest and say that the navy blue square is actually dark brown in real life but the photo makes it match the jar better! The centre piece is made using 10 Second Studio metal and alcohol and distress inks. And a cuttlebug embossing folder. I watched a demo using these at Imagine That where Emma makes the most wonderful Christmas cards with this teqhnique. I, however, have not got it quite right so will go back for another demo. It looks quite nice - but not as nice as hers!
The stamp is from the Stampendous Window Box set. The embossed circle and the square are raised up so this is quite a dimensional card. For hand delivering then...

If you like the card design here is my very first sketch to try out
You can tell I took ages over it (sarcastic laugh). And possibly that the sketch came after the card as it was only then I thought about the little side pieces from the label. Still, if you do find it even a tad inspiring I would love to see what you do with the sketch.

Right I am now going to stare pathetically at Phil who is on his computer opposite me until he makes me a cup of TEA.


(It usually works)

6 comments:

Kathy said...

This is soooo fab - I love the idea of making a "sketch" from the labbel on the jar - it looks so great!

Love the colours too

Angelnorth said...

Great take on the challenge - the jar label made for great inspiration and your embossed metal piece looks fab to me!

Hazel said...

Hope you got your cuppa. Fancy not liking coffee! What a super idea for your card (and I do love that coffee)

Powerful Search Engine said...

Great card Lythan. I thought the embossing looked like a bubbly cuppa! Pascale :)

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Gorgeous card and the sketch you made is great. Thanks for sharing.
x Natasha x

Kim Dellow said...

What a fab card and fantastic idea. Kim